The Banda Musical de Amarante was founded in December 1854 in celebration of Portugal’s Restoration of Independence. Its current name only came about in January 1983. Over its 150 years of activity, the Banda Musical de Amarante has had a fundamental role on the promotion, education and training in Amarante of Wind and Percussion instrumentalists. Nowadays, the band is composed by 50 elements and a further 30 constitute their Orquestra Juvenil, for young musicians. They perform in several events throughout the country.