The current museum, once the Municipal Library-Museum, was established in 1947 by Dr. Albano Sardoeira, and aimed for the gathering of evidence, documents and material related to local history and to eminent artists and writers native to Amarante, such as Amadeo de Souza-Cardoso, António Carneiro, Acácio Lino or Manuel Monterroso. Located in St. Gonçalo’s Monastery, whose construction spans from the XVIth to the XVIIIth centuries, the museum gradually took over some of the monastic spaces, as rehabilitation works were being held, before a major requalification project in 1980, under the orientation of the architect Alcino Soutinho. By 1993, the city Library was transferred to Casa da Cerca and the two components of the original institution became independent. The now Municipal Museum Amadeo de Souza Cardoso created in 1997, with support from the City Hall, a biannual prize of the artist’s namesake, exalting his creative achievements. The Museum’s cloister is regularly place for concerts and performances.