St. Gonçalo’s Church and Monastery

Historical registers point to the existence of a prior chapel on the same location, built by Saint Gonçalo de Amarante, at the dawn of the XIIIth century. The construction of the current buildings (church and Dominican monastery) started in 1543, ordered by D. João III and D. Catarina of Austria. The church is equipped with a fixed and a portable Iberian pipe organ, and it is in this place that, since 2013, occurs Amarante’s Sacred Music Week, an event bringing the country’s best musicians in the fields of sacred music, choral music and pipe organ. St. Gonçalo’s Church also holds regularly concerts by the Orquestra do Norte.