Biblioteca Municipal Albano Sardoeira

Amarante’s Municipal Library was created in 1947, by initiative of Dr. Albano Sardoeira, professor and scholar of the city’s history, and by the 1960s it included one of the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation’s Permanent Libraries, an important asset in the spreading of books and literacy in the community. Initially the Library was placed in one of the cloisters of the Monastery of St. Gonçalo de Amarante, but on the 1st of November 2003, after the Municipality had bought, in 1993, and rehabilitated the abandoned Casa da Cerca, the Library was transferred to that new location, alongside the Municipal Archive, and re-branded with its current name. Nowadays, this main Library branches into a smaller centre in Vila Meã.

The Albano Sardoeira Municipal Library is part of Portugal’s National Network of Public Readership and orients its managing and functioning principles under those expressed by the UNESCO Public Library Manifesto.

BIBLIOTECA MUNICIPAL ALBANO SARDOEIRA