The Banda Musical de Amarante (BMA) was created in December 1854, to celebrate Portugal’s Restoration of Independence. The actual name, however, only came about in 1983. Since 2013, the BMA has taken efforts to revitalize its school, which counts 40 students, and the training of its younger constituents. The BMA is comprised of 50 elements, plus 30 that are part of its Juvenile Band. In 2008 the Banda started holding the Percussion and Wind Brass instruments Summer Course.